I don’t know about you but we have a busy weekend ahead of us, which for this introvert, means very little down time. So how do we cultivate peace when our lives are go, go, go? I was so grateful to everyone who took the time to comment or email in regards to my post on cultivating peace and I wanted to share with permission, some suggestions that were put forward. There were so many great ideas! Please note these are in no particular order.
- When tempted to say things like “I suck” or “I’m ugly” or “unsuccessful” or whatever it is, claim TRUTH by saying it out loud (even if quietly),
“Lord that thought does not come from you. That is a lie and I reject it because you reject it. You don’t think of me in that way.”
- Even when broke, try to hire a housecleaner. Even if twice a year. Better, twice a month if at all possible and go out for breakfast or lunch or do something as a family while it is being done. It is not just for wordly, rich, working out of the home mothers. It forces you to organize your home regularly and it is soooo nice to know it has been cleaned and not be exhausted. You are more likely to open your home up to others on short notice, too. If you have the right people, it is worth every penny.
- When discouraged about yourself, ask yourself what God thinks of you. You’ll rarely say God thinks you’re a stinky loser. He is your father and loves your flaws and all, just as you love your children.
- Work with a spiritual director or life coach.
- Practice positive self-talk. (I am the queen of self pep-talks. If you don’t know what I’m talking about just ask and I can give you examples)
- Make prayer a constant practice. Even just saying in your head or aloud,
“Lord, I really need your love today. I really need your love right now. Help me to feel it and see it.”
- Write down everything you are upset about.
- Read Henri Nouwen’s Life of the Beloved, which I ordered from Amazon yesterday (finally) .
- Pray the Lord’s prayer, speak the Agnus Dei and/or sing or say the Prayer of St. Francis.
- Write and email or card to someone I want to say thank you to or who needs encouragement.
- When preparing for work or making a meal or working on a project don’t worry about whether it is good enough or as great as you want it to be.
- Remind yourself that most people aren’t judging you and if they are, it’s their problem.
- Go with the flow.
- Find ways to laugh.
- Donate time and money.
- Listen to music
- Remind yourself that you are a sensitive person and need a lot of time with the Lord, reading, meditating, writing…whatever that might be for you.
- Remind yourself that hormones are REAL.
- Stop apologizing for being a mess to the people closest to you. Just accept their love and thank them for loving you. Tell them that you need them.
- Text family or friends so you don’t feel alone.
- Do something physical – go for a walk, clean something, stretch.
- Spend time with friends or meet new friends for those extroverts out there.
- Say no to social gatherings for those introverts out there.
- Set boundaries.
- And finally, look for moments of peace. This could be the ocean’s rhythm, lambs running in a field, snow falling, or children playing.
Did I miss something? Comment below and tell us how you cultivate Peace.
I wish you all a wonderful and very peaceful weekend.