A little while back I posted 30 books to read before you are 30. For some of us…with limited reading time, I could see how it would be a challenge. So the other day, when I was at the Cambridge Library and stumbled upon 1001 Children’s Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up I was like, “Now this is more like it!”
It’s a good thing I am not grown up yet or it would be too late.
I thought it might be an interesting endeavour to try and read every book listed. It eases you in with books for 0-3 years of age and works its way all the way up +12. I have also read some of them already, so that will eliminate a few…or maybe, I’ll just read them over again.
I’ll tell you what I would really like to do: Have a book club…and adult book club, where we discuss each of these books. Want to join me? Over the next year(s) I am going to try to post let’s say 10 books at a time. I am totally thinking this up on a whim so I will see if I can stick with it but seriously, I would love some company. So here we go, apparently the 40’s was a good decade for children’s books:
1. The Little Engine That Could (1930) (We own two copies of this book and have read it many times over)
2. Pat the Bunny (Touch and Feel Book) (1940)
3. Make Way for Ducklings (1941)
4. The Runaway Bunny (1942) (We own the board book version so I’m not sure if it is the same)
5. Three Railway Engines (Railway Series) (1945)
6. Thomas the Tank Engine: The Complete Collection (Railway Series) (1946)
7. Goodnight Moon Big Book (1947) (Totally in the bag!)
8. Lavender’s Blue (1954)
9. Bedtime for Frances (1960)
10. Miffy (1963)