Summer has been exactly as it should be. Late night fires, visiting with friends and family and squeezing joy out of every last drop of sunshine. Just last night, my kids were up well past 10pm playing with their cousins and having a wonderful time. With this in mind however, I know that it is just one week until my kids will be heading back to school and while they are excited to see their friends, I have a feeling that the return to routine might feel like a cold slap to the face. It’s been two months since we have had to worry about waking up early, packing lunches and backpacks, scrambling to find homework and getting out that door.
It will be a difficult transition but one thing that I know will make it easier for everyone is getting back the bedtime routine. We have always had a healthy bedtime routine with our kids that included the three B’s: Bath, book, and bed.
Bedtime is a sacred time not only for them to calm their little minds, but also to connect with them as parents and find out how their day was. And if the day was too busy to get that reading in, we always know we have that time, just before bed, for a good book because let’s face it – nothing beats a great bedtime book.
Here are just 10 of our favourite Bedtime stories
(some to do with bedtime, and some, not so much):
- Where Oh Where Is Huggle Buggle Bear? A cute little bedtime story for all kids.
- The Stella Books: Probably some of my all time favourite Children’s books. I love how Marie Louise Gay totally captures the child’s sense of wonder.
- Goodnight Moon: A classic.
- Where the Wild Things Are: For your wild child.
- Crunch Munch Dinosaur Lunch: A cute little story for big brothers and little sisters.
- Bear Snores On
- Time for Bed Sleepyhead: This book was especially designed by a psychiatrist to facilitate sleep so there ya go.
- Goodnight Gorilla
- God Gave Us You: Nothing gives me more joy than filling my babies with good thoughts before bed.
- Guess How much I Love You
What about you? What are your favourite bedtime storybooks?